Mix-and-Match Melon Soup “Master” Recipe
The possibilities for delicious combinations are virtually endless! It is perfect for making with kids, since tasting is key, ingredients are few, it can be plated with pizazz and is ready to be enjoyed right away or chilled for later. My kids like to freeze part of the batch in popsicle molds. Combine the following ingredients in a food processor or powerful blender, and blend until silky smooth! Be sure to taste as you go!
- Melon: Any variety will do! Cantaloupe, Honeydew, Crenshaw, Ambrosia, Galia, Cantadew, Watermelon…
- Citrus: Lime, lemon, orange, even experiment with grapefruit! – use some (or all) of the fruits’ zest, and juice.
- Extra sweetness (if needed): Tasting is critical. Some melons are so sweet that you’ll skip this step, however, if you want to add a little boost of sweetness, go for a whole food source. I use 1-2 soft, pitted Medjool dates because they blend perfectly and add extra fiber and health-promoting phytonutrients.
- Flavor bursts: We all know how healthful leafy greens are, so throw in some fresh mint or even basil? Adding some jalapeño or a pinch of cayenne will create a sweet-spicy flavor profile!
- Creamy touch: Adding a splash of soy milk or almond milk can bring a hint of creamy richness to the soup.
- Garnish to your heart’s content! Mint sprigs, fresh or frozen berries, a dash of cayenne or cinnamon, or thin slices of citrus would make for a work of art!
- If you make more than one variety (using a melon with orange colored flesh for one and green colored flesh for another) you can pour them into the same dish or glass, keeping the contrast visible.
I will post a few recipes for my favorite combinations over the next few days… Be sure to sign up for email notification of my new blog posts so that you will be sure to get those recipes without delay!